The Rainbow Gang
Chapter 11 - Separation Anxiety
By Mega Raichu


It had been a long night for everyone. Pikachu/Mewtwo was safely locked away with two of the Rainbow Gang's most powerful psychic's guarding the door. The eldest Raichu slept easily in a makeshift bed in a nearby room. The younger Raichu, upon recommendation of his older brother, had gone home to Pikette, but was having trouble falling asleep. He stared up at the canopy of trees in the small wooded area he called home, wondering about many different things. He wondered if Mewtwo had actually taken complete control over Pikachu, and if so, was Pikachu gone? He wondered if they could remove Mewtwo from Pikachu's body. Mewtwo had said that he was in complete control, but he did not say whether or not Pikachu was still present in his mind. Raichu's mind whirled with many more questions of that nature. Pikette stirred next to him and woke up.

"You okay?" She asked.

"I don't know." He replied.

"You're worried about Pikachu aren't you?"

"Yeah, I guess so."

"Don't worry. Alakazam has always come through for us. All we can do is leave it in his hands."

She leaned over and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

"Now get some sleep. You have a long day tomorrow." She said.

With her reassurance, he relaxed and closed his eyes. Within moments, he was asleep.

 

Pikachu/Mewtwo stared at the ceiling of his cell. He was not a very happy pokémon to say the least. He struggled, vainly, to free himself of the collar. But his body, much less his psychic powers, would not respond.

"On the bright side, they will have to take this collar off sooner or later." Mewtwo remarked to himself. "And once I am free of this wretched device, I will destroy them all, starting with that old rat, Raichu."

Pikachu/Mewtwo smiled as he envisioned the many ways he could destroy his enemies. A particularly gruesome method entered his mind and he chuckled at the thought. Unable to sleep, he let his mind wander in that fashion. As night gave way to morning, he had concocted at least a thousand different ways to exact his revenge.

 

Raichu and his older brother sat in the conference room, waiting for Alakazam to arrive, which he did quite promptly. Raichu motioned for Alakazam to sit and he did so.

"Alright. So now we have him. What do we do with him?" The younger Raichu asked.

"Alakazam and I had discussed this last night after we got back." The older Raichu said.

"Yes. We are going to need the help of a powerful psychic to remove Mewtwo's consciousness from Pikachu's mind." Alakazam said.

"Can't you do it?" The younger Raichu asked.

"No. The process would destroy me mentally." Alakazam replied grimly.

"So who do we get to help us?" The younger Raichu asked.

"We'll enlist the help of an old friend of mine." The older Raichu replied.

"Who?" His younger brother asked.

"You'll find out once we get to Saffron." The older Raichu said with an air of confidence.

 

The two Raichus, and Alakazam with Pikachu/Mewtwo in tow stood outside a large building. The building was that of a human gym belonging to the psychic gym leader, Sabrina.

"You've got to be kidding." The younger Raichu said. "You know one of Sabrina's lackeys?"

"Not one of her lackeys. Sabrina herself." His older brother replied.

"Impossible. Sabrina is a psychic trainer. She would not befriend an electric type." Alakazam said.

"Watch and learn." The older Raichu said.

He began to search the wall and found a loose panel that was large enough for the group to enter. They walked in and found themselves inside the walls of the gym. Raichu motioned for the others to wait. He pushed open another panel. Raichu emerged into the arena area of the gym where Sabrina met her challengers. At the far end of the arena, Sabrina was conversing with one of her aides.

"Sabrina, we have a visitor. Should I have it removed?" The aide asked.

Sabrina looked over at Raichu. Recognition hit her like a lead weight. She smiled and walked over to him. She bent down and patted Raichu on the head. Raichu smiled as she started to stroke his fur. Then she lifted him and hugged him like a big teddy bear.

"Of course not. This Raichu is my friend." She said happily.

"Chu!" Raichu replied with a happy tone.

"Go now. We have a lot of catching up to do." She said to the aide dismissing him.

The aide left the room. Sabrina put Raichu down and sat down next to him.

"My it has been a long time since I last saw you my friend. You've gotten so big." She said.

She reached into her coat and pulled out a treat for him. Raichu happily accepted the treat.

"How is your family?" She asked.

Raichu looked sadly down at the floor.

"What is it? Did something happen?" She asked. "No wait. No need to tell me. I'll just read your mind and find out for myself."

She placed her hand on his head. She had been fully aware of the presence of the gangs of pokémon as had all the humans in Kanto. She was also fully aware of the battle with Mewtwo and Raichu's part in that massive battle. His memories began to flood into her head. She saw the entire story of how Mewtwo had taken over Pikachu's mind and how they had captured Mewtwo with the psychic collar. And the idea of removing Mewtwo from Pikachu's mind also appeared in her mind. She removed her hand from his head and sat in thought. Humans rarely interacted with the pokémon gangs. In fact there was a section of the Kanto police force dedicated to keeping the peace between the gangs, which was made up entirely of pokémon.

"You appear to be in quite a dilemma my friend." She said.

Raichu pointed towards the wall that he came in from.

"Oh, you brought them with you?" She asked. "Well, bring them here and I'll see what I can do."

Raichu scampered, as best he could, over to the loose panel. His younger brother wore a sarcastic expression on his face.

"That was the most pathetic display ever." He said.

"Well I think it's a good thing to have friends in high places." The older Raichu replied.

He then led the group over to Sabrina. She lifted Pikachu up and inspected the collar.

"This is a very powerful device you have here." She remarked.

"It may be able to hold me in place for now, but it has to come off some time." Mewtwo said.

Sabrina put Pikachu/Mewtwo on the ground.

"Yes, Mewtwo has ingrained himself deep in this Pikachu's mind. It will be very difficult to separate them. It will require a large amount of psychic power to do it. But Alakazam and myself alone won't be able to accomplish this." Sabrina reported. "But if we also enlist the powers of my pokémon, Kadabra, then we should be able to pull it off. Kadabra has been training very hard to become a very powerful psychic, like myself."

Sabrina looked around her arena and frowned.

"But I'm afraid we won't be able to do it here. We need to do it in a place of low psychic interference. And I think I know just the place." Sabrina announced, then looked over at Alakazam. "After this is done, I would like to take possession of that collar. It would be a most interesting subject of study."

Alakazam nodded. Sabrina closed her eyes and concentrated. The world swirled sickeningly around them. Raichu and his older brother blacked out. When they came to, they were in a completely different environment. Walls of brown stone surrounded them. A tunnel at one end of the room was the only exit. Sabrina was already preparing the two other psychics for the separation. Alakazam and Kadabra sat side by side, meditating as Sabrina placed Pikachu/Mewtwo on a boulder in the center of the room.

"Where are we?" The older Raichu inquired.

"Mt. Moon." Sabrina replied.

The old Raichu was taken aback.

"You can understand me?" He asked.

"Kadabra is acting as a psychic translator for her." Alakazam said.

"Why are we in Mt. Moon?" The younger Raichu asked, slightly confused.

"There is little to no psychic interference in here, meaning that there are no psychic waves coming from other pokémon or humans that will interfere with the separation." Sabrina said. "If there were, there could be serious side affects."

"Such as?" The younger Raichu asked, not really understanding Sabrina's explanation.

"Such as the destruction of our minds." Sabrina said. "If there were some kind of interference, the power we are putting into the separation could backfire on us, and the feedback would be devastating. It would, in a sense, turn the three of us into vegetables."

"Heavy." The younger Raichu said.

"Is there any chance that we could interfere?" The older Raichu asked.

"No. You don't have psychic wavelengths strong enough to interfere." Sabrina explained. "You do have some wavelengths, everyone does, but they aren't strong enough to do any kind of damage."

With all that cleared up, Sabrina sat between the two psychic pokémon and closed her eyes. Alakazam and Kadabra followed suit. Raichu and his older brother watched in amazement. Waves of energy began to emanate from the three psychics. After a few moments, Pikachu/Mewtwo began to glow. His eyes widened as he began to float in the air. Mewtwo had been strangely quiet during the whole episode. No threats, no begging, no nothing. The older Raichu stepped forward.

"Any last words Mewtwo?" He asked.

Pikachu/Mewtwo floated in the air silently. The older Raichu shook his head. Sabrina and the two psychic pokémon concentrated their power on Mewtwo's psychic wavelength. There was a bright flash that lasted for a few moments and then the sound of a small explosion as Mewtwo's soul was ripped from Pikachu's small body. When the light and sound faded away, Pikachu was laying unconscious on the boulder. Sabrina went over to Pikachu and placed a hand on his head.

"Mewtwo is no longer in Pikachu." Sabrina reported.

Then Sabrina removed the collar from Pikachu.

"Pikachu!" The older Raichu cried as he went over to Pikachu.

Pikachu began to stir.

"Ugh. What... what happened?" He asked weakly.

"You're okay!" His older brother said happily.

"Uh guys." The younger Raichu said suddenly. "What's that?"

The younger Raichu was pointing to a ball of pure light hovering above and behind Pikachu's body. Suddenly two beams of light shot out from the ball and slammed into Alakazam and Sabrina. Alakazam and Sabrina cried out in pain as their psychic powers were being drained. Suddenly the ball began to take a new shape. It took the shape of Mewtwo. When the beams of light finished their duty with Alakazam and Sabrina, Mewtwo had regained his true form, and all of his power. Alakzam and Sabrina collapsed to the ground. Mewtwo's laughter filled the room. The older Raichu pulled Pikachu away from Mewtwo and into the arms of the younger Raichu. Then turned back to Mewtwo.

"Mewtwo! What? How!?" The younger Raichu asked in horror.

"Since I knew I would not be able to inhabit the body of that Pikachu anymore, I had to make a body more suitable to my needs. So I crafted a body made of pure psychic energy!" Mewtwo said.

"There's no way you could have known!" The older Raichu said.

"Oh but there is. Thanks to Alakazam." Mewtwo said. "When he was searching for me, I connected with his mind and read it. I found out the entire plan. I knew he would need another powerful psychic to separate me from that Pikachu. So I prepared myself to create this body when they used their energy to remove me. I simply used the energy they used on me to my advantage!"

"So that's why it was so easy to capture you." The younger Raichu said, enraged.

"Exactly. I didn't even put up much of a fight did I?" Mewtwo said with a smirk. "I had several other pokémon under my control just waiting to take that pathetic dark type down. But I held them back so that I could bring about my own resurrection!"

The older Raichu looked over at the three psychics. Sabrina and Alakazam were out cold. Kadabra looked over at Raichu.

"I can teleport two away at one time." He said telepathically.

The older Raichu looked back at his two younger brothers. Pikachu was in no condition to fight, and the younger Raichu had already proven that he was pretty much ineffective against Mewtwo. He sighed. He looked over at Kadabra. The expression on his face told Kadabra to get everyone out of this place. Kadabra nodded and teleported Sabrina and Alakazam away.

"Too bad that they will miss all the fun." Mewtwo said sarcastically.

The older Raichu turned to the younger Raichu.

"Get him out of here." He said grimly.

"But..." The younger Raichu started.

But his older brother had already turned to face Mewtwo.

"Go! I'll handle Mewtwo!" He waved his arm.

The younger Raichu hesitated for a moment. Then he grabbed Pikachu and bolted for the tunnel.

"No! Raichu! We have to go back for him!" Pikachu cried.

But Raichu ran on, ignoring his brothers words. He felt in his heart that his older brother would be okay. He always came out okay.

"He'll be okay." Raichu said.

But his words did not comfort Pikachu. Pikachu tried to struggle to get out of his brother's arms, but he didn't have the strength. The separation had effectively drained him of all his strength.

"Raichu!" Pikachu cried.

The older Raichu stared Mewtwo in the eyes. He listened as the footsteps of his younger brother faded.

"Looks like you've been abandoned by family and friends Raichu." Mewtwo said with a smirk.

"Wouldn't be the first time." Raichu remarked.

"What makes you think that you can take me?" Mewtwo said.

"It runs in the family." Raichu said. "Besides. You killed Rapidash."

"Ah yes. I did do that didn't I?" Mewtwo said mockingly. "That was a most satisfying kill. Did I tell you how I killed her? I made her heart explode. She died choking on her own blood."

Mewtwo laughed as he envisioned Rapidash dying before him.

"You loved her!" Raichu said, now enraged. "We both did!"

"But she hated me. She loathed, no, abhorred me!" Mewtwo said.

"And yet you served her as her lieutenant." Raichu said.

"Yes I did. And at every turn, she put me down and showed me how much she loathed me. I took all of it because I hoped that she would change her mind. In the end, it didn't even matter. I had more pressing business. In the end she still hated me. I even gave her a chance to join me and she still rejected me! So I told her, and the world how I felt by killing her."

"Well now things are different Mewtwo. You're a threat to the world and everyone on it!"

"Oh please. Don't try to pass yourself off as a hero. You just want to get your revenge on my for killing the only one you ever loved."

Raichu remained silent. Mewtwo could see that his insult had hit home. He wanted a decent fight out of the old rat, so decided to try and calm him, as an angry pokémon could not concentrate in a fight.

"There's nothing wrong with it Raichu." Mewtwo said in a calmer tone of voice. "Revenge is motivation enough, at least it's honest. Hate me! But do it honestly!"

"Fine then. Either to save the world or to get revenge, it doesn't matter. I cannot let you live!" Raichu said.

 

The younger Raichu ran on down the tunnel, taking random turns, trying to get as far away from Mewtwo as possible. Pikachu continued to struggle.

"We have to go back! We can't leave him!" Pikachu cried.

Raichu remained silent as he ran. But Pikachu persisted.

"Go back Raichu! We have to!" Pikachu cried again.

Raichu was starting to get irritated.

"Raichu will be okay! He's been in worse scrapes than this! Besides, Kadabra will come back for us." Raichu said.

But somehow, Raichu wasn't very confident that Kadabra would indeed come for them. But his fear evaporated when Kadabra materialized in front of them. Kadabra concentrated and teleported them back to Sabrina's gym. Raichu let Pikachu down on the ground.

"Quick! Go back for Raichu!" Pikachu shouted.

"Don't bother." Sabrina said, having recovered some of her strength.

Everyone looked over at Sabrina. She opened her mouth to speak.

"Raichu's life force has faded away."

Back | Story Start | Forward